の Particle (Explanation / Emotion) Japanese Grammar Lesson
Grammar Type: Particle
Essential Meaning: It is that / It’s because / The reason is that
- (Verb / い-Adjective) informal + の
- E.g. 話すの [It’s because X talks]
- E.g. 大きいの [It’s because X is big]
- (な-Adjective stem / Noun) + [な / だった] + の
- E.g. 静かなの [It’s because X is quiet]
- E.g. 先生なの [It’s because X is a teacher]
- This form of the の particle is derived from the expression のだ through the omission of だ. の (Explanation / Emotion) indicates that the speaker is explaining or asking for an explanation about some info that has been previously shared with the hearer. It can also indicate that the speaker is talking about something emotively and expecting that the topic is of common interest to the hearer. It’s similar to saying “So…” or “You know…“; not only does it convey information emotively, but it sets an expectation for a response.
- E.g. A: どうして泣いているの？ B: お母さんがいないの。[A: How come you are crying? B: It’s because my mom isn’t here.] In this example, Speaker A uses の to seek an explanation, and speaker B uses の to provide an explanation.
- E.g. 母はまだとても元気なの。[My mother is still very healthy.] In this example, the の particle is used to convey emotion with the expectation that the mother’s health is of concern to the hearer.
- E.g. あの人はとてもやさしいの。[That person is very gentle, you know?] In this example, the speaker is making a statement and setting the expectation that the hearer will respond or engage somehow.
- の (Explanation / Emotion) is commonly used by females and children in informal situations, but there are also situations where a male may use it interrogatively to seek an explanation.
- E.g. どうして食べないの。[Why aren’t you eating?]
- E.g. どうしたの。[What’s the matter with you?]
A: どうして泣いているの？ B: お母さんがいないの。[A: How come you are crying? B: It’s because my mom isn’t here.]
あの人はとてもやさしいの。[That person is very gentle, you know?]
主人はエンジニアなの。[So my husband is an engineer.]
***YouTube videos may be region-locked depending on your country of origin. If you experience issues, please try using a VPN set to a United States IP address.***